Cord Cutting Ritual

 



Last night I carried out a cord-cutting ritual, under the first night of the full moon, near my outdoor altar. The ritual was for severing the energetic link between myself and a former friend and creative partner. The friendship was toxic and was broken off in 2017, but four years later I still feel the effects of his negative actions.

As part of the ritual, I burned most of the theatre work that the two of us did together - music scores, lyrics, flyers, programmes, scripts, even a CD - keeping only enough to prove my authorship (should I ever need to). I also burned programmes and tickets of his playwriting work that I had attended, and some pages containing his handwriting.


As is traditional with cord-cutting rituals, there were two black candles and a black cord involved. The candles were inscribed with our two names and tied together, and I meditated on our past for a while, before cutting the cord to sever the link. The candles burned down to stubs before being added to the fire, along with the remains of the cord.

The new moon would be a better time to conduct this ritual, but since I had been affected recently by his visit to my town, it felt like the right time to carry it out. I've been advised that I might need to do this more than once, and I do have more associated things to burn, so I may repeat this ritual at the new moon on 6th Oct.

This is the largest ritual I've ever carried out, and the only one I've ever done outside. It felt good to be there - clothed, although sans shoes - but I felt a little hampered by the occasional presence of neighbours in the surrounding gardens. There is relative visual privacy, but I did not want to be overheard, so I only quietly whispered at the moments when words were required.

It doesn't feel like the ritual has had any immediate effect, although it did feel cathartic to burn the work.

Course reading: Completed booklet #4, and #5 up to page 52. Wrote out some prayers in the paper version of my Bardic journal.

Comments