Watercolour moon phases & Ancestry

Here's my latest watercolour effort; a painting of the moon phases over the sea. I added some gold metallic marker and white gel pen to give it some detail. This idea came from a Skillshare class.


In other news,  I got my DNA ancestry results back! I've been waiting a long time for this. I already know I have some Scottish ancestry and a little bit of Irish.

Here's the results:



So that's 45% England & Northwestern Europe (on the website this is narrowed down to Yorkshire and the surrounding areas), 44% Scotland, 9% Ireland, and 2% Sweden and Denmark.

One big surprise is that there's so much Scottish in there, considering I only have one Scottish grandparent. This means I must have more genes from my Grandad than from my Grandma on that side. It's also possible that there's a little on my Dad's side contributing, as many English people apparently have a bit of Scottish ancestry without knowing it. So now I know why I've always felt such a strong pull to Scotland, despite only being (as I thought) about 25% Scottish. I feel a little more legitimate now in celebrating my Scottish heritage.

The Irish part is more than I'd imagined - I was thinking maybe 5% - and I have no idea where the Swedish & Denmark bit comes from. Still, I'm glad to have a bit of Norse.

This is super relevant to Druidry, which involves reverance of ancestors and even seeing them as spirit guides. Now when I call on them, I have a better idea of who they are.

Comments